These criteria for continuing education are provided to better insure quality and consistency in educational offerings for ophthalmic dispensers. There are many educational experiences which provide learning and advance the ophthalmic profession; however, only courses which are planned and administered in accordance with the ABO-NCLE Criteria will be accepted for recertification credit.
Effective August 10, 2018 the education committee will no longer approve courses for 2 years and/or 5 years. All course approvals will be for 3 years.
Submissions must include the following:
- A statement of learning objectives must be developed for each course, describing in general terms what should be learned by the participants.
- A detailed outline or course abstract listing specific learning outcomes must be submitted for each course.
- The intended audience and content level must be specified.
- Course content must be generic in nature and presented in an objective manner.
- The course length and method of presentation must be indicated on the course application.
- Speakers must be qualified by education or experience to provide quality instruction in the relevant subject area and must be approved by ABO-NCLE for each course they are presenting.
Failure to follow these criteria will result in denial of CEC Approval to course sponsors.