Information for Education Sponsors
Getting a Course Approved
ABO and NCLE define continuing education as planned learning experiences that maintain and enhance the technical, business and personal abilities of ophthalmic dispensers to deliver quality services to consumers, the public and the profession in a competent manner.
A detailed Handbook for continuing education providers, sponsors and speakers has been prepared by ABO and NCLE. To download a copy of the Criteria for Continuing Education Handbook, click HERE.
Each course must adhere to the following Criteria.
These Criteria for Continuing Education are provided to better insure quality and consistency in educational offerings for ophthalmic dispensers. There are many educational experiences which provide learning and advance the ophthalmic profession; however, only courses which are planned and administered in accordance with the ABO/NCLE Criteria will be accepted for recertification credit.
- A statement of learning objectives must be developed for each course, describing in general terms what should be learned by the participants.
- A detailed outline or course abstract listing specific learning outcomes must be submitted for each course.
- The intended audience and content level must be specified.
- Course content must be generic in nature and presented in an objective manner.
- The course length and method of presentation must be indicated on the course application.
- Speakers must be qualified by education or experience to provide quality instruction in the relevant subject area and must be approved by ABO/NCLE for each course they are presenting.
- Each attendee will be asked to evaluate the course and speaker.
Failure to follow these criteria will result in denial of CEC Approval to course sponsors.