ABO/NCLE Advanced Certification Renewal
Why should I renew my advanced certification?
- Advanced certification proves that you have gone the "extra mile" in enhancing your professional development.
- Advanced certification means your employment opportunities may be expanded to include a greater range of practice environments.
- Advanced certification identifies you to your employer, your colleagues, and your clients as an eye care professional, dedicated to quality care.
- Advanced certification proves your ability to accept more responsibility and function at a higher level, resolving problem situations and referring cases to other professionals appropriately.
- Advanced certification means third party payers may accept your credential for reimbursement.
- Advanced certification proves you take pride in your profession and in maintaining up-to-date skills and knowledge.
- Advanced certification is the pathway to the ABO Master Certification and the CLSA Fellow programs.
How do I renew my advanced certification?
Continuing education (CEC) renewal requirements
- ABO advanced certified: Send in 12 hours of ABO approved CECs of which 4 must be Level II or Level III (up to 3 may be NCLE) and the $85 renewal fee.
- NCLE certified: Send in 18 hours of NCLE approved CECs of which 6 must be Level II or Level III (up to 6 may be ABO approved) and the $85 renewal fee.
- ABO and NCLE certified: Send in 21 hours of CECs, 9 ABO approved and 12 NCLE approved, 7 of which must be Level II or Level III plus the $85 ABO and $85 NCLE renewal fees.
About your certification
All certifications are for 3 years. CECs must be earned within the 3 year certification period and may not be accumulated and carried over from one period to another. All CECs and renewal fees are due on or before your expiration date. If you fail to complete the requirements in time, you have a 4th year to complete them. During that year your certification is suspended. This suspension year is not an extension but will overlap into your next certification period. Renewing in the suspension year requires the payment of an additional $50 late penalty.
What is acceptable for continuing education credit?
- For ABO: Spectacle related courses approved by ABO. Courses approved by an opticianry licensing agency.
- For NCLE: Contact lens related courses approved by NCLE. Courses approved by an opticianry licensing agency.
Alternate renewal methods
Unlike your basic certification you may not use your license renewal for advanced certification renewal. You must submit the actual CEC's.
You may also retake and pass the ABO or NCLE advanced exam(s) for recertification instead of earning CECs, but only in the 3rd or suspension year of your certification. You may not sit for the exam at any other time during your certification.
Where do I send my renewal?
Send your CECs and renewal fees to ABO/NCLE, 6506 Loisdale Rd., Suite 209, Springfield, VA 22150 Be sure to include your name, address, and I.D. number.
Looking for continuing education? Contact your state society, or call (800) 296-1379 and ask for a Key Providers List.